ORT’s Central School in Salzburg was the first post-war vocational training establishment in Austria. It opened in February 1947 and offered vocational training to over 13,000 Jews, mainly from Hungary and Poland, living in the three permanent and five transit camps in and around Salzburg.The constant movement of DPs to and from the camps made any establishment of long-term courses virtually impossible. Nonetheless, in mid-1947 the school in Salzburg had 350 pupils attending workshops in locksmith training, auto mechanics, electro-engineering, radio technology, carpentry, cutting out of men’s and women’s garments, dressmaking, corset-making, millinery, dental mechanics and nurse's training. The courses lasted six to nine months and the school employed fifty instructors. Eighty per cent of the Salzburg area DPs saw Palestine as their ultimate destination, thus these courses played a major part in their preparation for emigration.
An annex to the main ORT school in Salzburg was from the beginning of 1948 functioning in the Beth Bialik transit camp. Beth Bialik was located in the town of Salzburg which from May 1949 was serving as a ‘collection point’ for those willing to emigrate to Israel.The camp housed over 2,000 DPs. Despite the transitory character of the Beth Bialik its inhabitants managed to organize various forms of Jewish communal and cultural life. In 1948 the DPs put on a performance of ‘Der Dybbuk’ in Yiddish. ORT school has been installed in this camp in order to facilitate their emigration.