Lampertheim DP camp was located in a small town on the bank of Rhine in the Frankfurt District of the American occupational zone. It operated between the end of 1945 and May 1949 and housed 1200 Jewish DPs, mainly from Poland. In comparison with other camps, the inhabitants of Lampertheim were relatively well-off. They lived in requisitioned private houses in the village. The camp organised its own civic administration, with thirty unarmed policemen and uniformed fire service. There was a post office which operated as a tracing bureau for missing relatives of the camp’s community. The health centre in the camp was operated by doctors, who were at the same time DPs and residents of the centre.
The camp had a strong orthodox community and maintained a developed religious life, with a synagogue located in a converted private house, kosher kitchen for ninety DPs and a Talmud Torah. There was also a Hebrew library, culture house, a theatre group and a small orchestra. The camp also ran a secular elementary school and a kindergarten. A summer camp was organised for the children during the holidays. A few kilometres from the town, the camp operated a kibbutz for thirty young people training in farming in preparation for their emigration to Palestine.The ORT school had ninety-seven students, most of whom attended a course in dressmaking and worked in the modern clothes repairing workshop organised in the camp.
The director of the school was Josef Schottland.