The centre point of ORT activities in Hungary were two secondary schools in Budapest- a technical high school for mechanics and electricity for boys and a technical college for girls. These institutions were founded by ORT in 1936 and operated as part of the Jewish community. After the war they were supervised by a mixed commission, consisting of the representatives of the Jewish community as well as the Hungarian ORT. In December 1947, responding to a growing demand for the places, a second parallel workshop was added to the boys course.
Apart from 300 students in its technical colleges, ORT trained 450 students in other institutions located in Budapest. The courses held included weaving, radio technology, electro technology, dressmaking, linen manufacture, children’s dresses manufacture, ceramics and technical designing. Graduates of the courses were awarded with both the ORT diploma and the official Hungarian Ministry of Trade certificate.