Camps in the Piedmont area of Italy were the first stop for DPs who entered Italy from Austria. Even though generally overcrowded, the camps maintained a thriving cultural and community life. ORT ran its courses in a number of camps in the region- in the large refugee camp in Rivoli, the Avigliana Home of Youth Aliyah, Nichelino, Lucento, Grugliasco and Trani.
Due to its location near the border, the Rivoli camp was constantly over-populated, housing at times almost 2,000 DPs. Despite that, the camp was known for having one of the best developed communities of all camps in Italy. It was for example the only DP camp in Italy to have its own newspaper. In March 1948 ORT established in Rivoli a very successful trade school for building construction. In the field of construction the inhabitants of the camp could also attend courses for plumbing and tinsmith training. Additionally, ORT organised training workshops for locksmith training, joinery, shirt making, corsetry, dressmaking and vocational courses for cutting out of men’s suits. They were attended by over 300 students. In the big children’s workshop, some 100 children of camp inhabitants attended pre-vocational manual work after-school courses.
In Grugliasco in February 1948 ORT had 190 students and ran courses in dressmaking, mechanical knitting, corsetry, shirt making, upholstery, cutting out of men's garments and children’s workshops for forty students. Six months later, courses in welding, tinsmiths training as well as dental mechanics were added to the curriculum. There was also an ORT building construction school and a children’s workshop with boys working with cardboard and girls learning knitting and embroidery.