The area around Linz, the regional capital of upper Austria, became a major assembly centre for displaced persons and refugees- in the first five years after the war at least 150,000 Jewish DP passed through the region. ORT's activities in the area were concentrated in two permanent camps of Ebelsberg and Bindermichl as well as in the large refugee centre in Wegsheid.
Linz Bindermichl ‘Camp 64' was opened in the end of 1946 as a result of protests of former concentration camps inmates in the Linz area who were up to then housed either in former concentration camps or in temporary barracks. ‘Camp 64’ had 2,500 inhabitants living in large accommodation blocks. The camp quickly became the centre of Zionist cultural and communal activities and a site of a number of demonstrations against British policy in Palestine. The main focus in the community life of the camp was on creating a network of facilities preparing DPs for their future life in Palestine. One of the key elements of this preparation was vocational training. ORT's mission in Bindermichl started in September 1947. The school formed an integral part of the camp's social life with the students participating as part of their training in running the camp’s car repair service and carpentry and tailoring workshops. The camp closed in March 1949 after the vast majority of its inhabitants emigrated to Palestine.
Ebelsberg- the ‘Star of David’ DP camp was based in requisitioned houses and apartments. Fairly comfortable camp with a population of of 2000 DPs, mainly of Hungarian origin, The ‘Star of David’ was initially known as a ‘rich camp’, where the overcrowding was kept under control. Later, however, it became seriously overcrowded. ORT’s training in the camp, a key part of the DPs preparation for emigration to Palestine, started in mid 1947. Describing its beginning, Harry Bretton, the head of ORT mission to Austria, wrote: