ORT's activities in Amsterdam started in March 1946. The first courses to be opened were held in cutting out of garments and sewing and later in mechanical knitting and electrical engineering, leather work and woodwork. A pre-vocational cardboard work workshop was established for children. The first classes were held in a barely restored building of a Jewish Community School which had been destroyed during the war. Gradually, the number of courses increased and in July 1947 ORT reported:
'Amsterdam: 1 day-time trade school for electro-installation for youths is working there. It has 15 pupils and was opened even during the most difficult period of the winter, when all official schools were closed for lack of coal and electricity. Equally, there is a workshop for girls, attended by 22 pupils, who are being trained in cutting-out and sewing. A total of 41 adults are working in 6 training workshops for sewing. On March 24th and 25th, a group of pupils passed their final examination. Examiner was the head cutter of one of Amsterdam's most fashionable 'haute couture' establishments, the 'Bonneterie'. Notwithstanding the very high requirements, the results of the examination were very satisfying, and most of the graduates have already found jobs. In February 4 new vocational courses for adults have been opened. They have a total of 49 pupils, who receive 6 months training in cutting. Of particular importance is the training workshop for mechanical knitting with 24 pupils.'
From 1948, with the increase in emigration to Israel, the number of ORT students in Amsterdam started declining.